The P’s & Q’s Of Stainless Steel Cat Ladders As Per OSHA
Whether it is a stainless steel Fixed Ladders or Aluminium cat ladders, they are simply termed as fixed ladders irrespective of their category. Aren’t they? Ask anyone who has required a fabricated fixed ladder in Singapore, and they will tell you, it isn’t simple. The Occupational Health and Safety Administration has a number of rules that govern what industrial access equipment should have and not have. For instance, a ladder taller than 24 feet need to have a cage or around it!
Whether it is a stainless steel Fixed Ladders or Aluminium cat ladders, they are simply termed as fixed ladders irrespective of their category.
Brooklynz Stainless Steel Pte, follows successful technical practices to deliver customized stainless steel products for construction projects. We adopt to safety standards and take pride in our credibility with our achievement of BizSAFE star. We specialize in fabrication, supply and installation services for stainless steel railings, gates, bollards and more.
Here, With regard to Caged Steel Ladders, we explore all the compliances that any business has to fulfill are furnished hereunder
- The Load
A fixed ladder should be capable of supporting 250 pounds on two rungs situated one after the other, each. External factors like wind and rigging has to be considered as they have impacted the load on the ladder.
What Are The OSHA Rules For Aluminium Cat Ladders?
- The Rungs
The rungs should lower slipping. The treads can also be coated with a skid-resistance substance.
- The Side Rails
For long ladders, continuous side rails need to be made of many spliced pieces of stainless steel. A side rail assembled from several parts should be as strong as a single piece of side rail created from the same material at the bare minimum.
- The Extensions
The landing platform on the top access level of the caged ladders should have 42-inch-long extensions. For side-step ladders, the extension should have rungs, but for through fixed ladders, they are not needed.
The extension of side-step ladders has to be 42 inches above the point of entry. On the other hand, for through fixed ladders, the extensions have to be flared on the side rails with 24 to 30 inches of distance between them.
- The Platform
At times two or more caged ladders are needed to provide access to an elevated area. In such a case, a landing or platform is essential to bridge the gap between the ladders. OSHA provides strict guidelines for platforms for stainless steel ladders. Do know them before installing one.
In through fixed ladders, at the point of entry, the step-across distance has to be between 7 to 12 inches. To measure the length, starting from the edge of the landing area to center-line of the ladder.
Get Your Ladder With Cage In Singapore Up to The Mark
- The Clearance
- The distance between the surface to which the ladders are attached and the ladder has to be 7 inches. For elevator shafts, this distance is 4.5 inches.
- The distance between two rungs of the caged ladders has to be 7 inches minimum.
- The distance between an obstruction such a wall and the center of rung has to be 30 inches on the climbing side of the aluminum ladders. This rule comes into play for fixed ladders installed in maintenance holes. If there are obstructions that cannot be removed, such as an electricity box, the distance is reduced to 24 inches. A deflection device has to be mounted so that a climber can be guided around the said obstructions.
- For ladders that do have a cage, the distance between the ladder’s center-line and any object on either side of the ladder has to be 15 inches minimum. The objects have to permanent.
- If there are many caged ladders fixed side by side, keep a distance of 16 inches between the side rails of two, at the least.
HAVE A PROJECT?
We offer wide varities of CAT ladders, using best-in-class quality materials like steel, iron, and aluminum. Our services are spread all over Singapore and beyond. Call us or send us a quick mail to get started.